Table of Contents
- What is Istio?
- What is Service Mesh?
- Why use Istio?
- Important things in the network
- Request routing
- Load balancing
- Failure Management
- Fault Injection
- Circuit Breaking
- Where Istio finds it a place
- Intelligent Routing and Load Balancing
- Fleet Wide Policy Enforcement
- Resiliency across Languages and Platforms
- In-Depth Telemetry and Reporting
- The basic layout of Istio Service applied over two Microservices
- Video Tutorial
1 What is Istio?
- Istio helps reduce the complexity of the deployments and eases the strain on your development teams.
- Istio’s diverse feature set lets you successfully, and efficiently, run a distributed microservice architecture, and provides a uniform way to secure, connect, and monitor microservices.
2 What is Service Mesh?
- The team service mesh is used to describe the network of microservices that make up such applications and the interaction between them.
- A service mesh also often has more complex operational requirements, like A/B testing, canary releases, rate limiting, access control, and end-to-end authentication.
3 Why use Istio?
- Istio makes it easy to create a network of deployed services with load balancing, service-to-service authentication, monitoring, and more.
- Istio is designed for extensibility and meets diverse deployment needs
4 Important things in Network
a. Request Routing
In request routing the referring to the type of network flow, type of traffic flow which is routed to the microservices
b. Load Balancing
Load balancing as we know helps in balancing the load on these microservices.
We are having also some type of authentication for the microservices.
d. Failure Management
There might be failure management also for enhancing infrastructure.
e. Fault Injection
This also enhance infrastructure along with the fault injection
f. Circuit Breaking
This also enhance infrastructure along with the Circuit Breaking
So, all these features are taken into consideration when talking about the network and to manage this feature we have a powerful tool which is called Istio.
5 Where Istio finds its place?
Is functionality has subdivided into four major parts
a. Intelligent Routing and Load Balancing
In this functionality, we have control over the traffic which are flowing through the microservices along with the feature of load balancing.
b. Fleet Wide Policy Enforcement
In this functionality basically, we have control over a certain set of Microservices which we have implemented some policies over them, and these microservices could be dependent or independent of each other.
c. Resiliency across Languages and Platforms
This functionality states that each microservice could be of different platform and languages and still it interacting with each other through the help of Istio.
d. In-Depth Telemetry and Reporting
This functionality referring to the details or the monitoring services which we are using the Istio.
6. The basic layout of Istio Service applied over two Microservices
- In the above layout, the sidecar is an additional service present in an Istio.
- Now through the sidecar, we can manage the traffic and in case one microservices fail like service A then the sidecar stops the traffic and passes it on to another microservices or external services.
- Now we have Outbound and Inbound features for an Istio Service as mentioned in the above layout.